What is Chewblet Ice?
Chewblet ice is formed on the interior wall of a barrel-shaped evaporator. A rotating auger gently removes the ice from the evaporator wall and extrudes it through a compression nozzle to remove unfrozen water. From the nozzle, ice is pushed into a transport tube and distributed to a bin or dispenser up to 20 feet (6 m) away for Maestro™ ice machines and 75 feet (22.8 m) for Horizon™ ice machines.
The result is Chewblet ice, uniformly shaped pieces of chewable ice in two different sizes. Original Chewblet ice is approx. 1″ (2.54 cm) long and Micro Chewblet ice is approx. 3/8“ (0.95 cm) long. Chewblet ice is higher in quality than other forms of extruded ice, and more reliably dispensed.
Follett Chewblet ice machines consume less water and electricity than comparable size cube-type machines.
The Horizon series employs advanced technology and design features to provide superior utility performance. Horizon machines consume up to 40% less water than comparable size cube ice machines. In addition, most Horizon ice machines are ENERGY STAR® certified.
- Batch harvesting of thick cubes is energy intensive – disrupts refrigeration by frequent stopping and starting, heating and cooling
- Freezing process is reversed to heat evaporator plates in order to release cubes
- Gallons of chilled water are flushed down the drain – wastes water and energy
- Continuous harvesting of a thin layer of ice optimizes energy use – no disruption of refrigeration cycle
- Cycle is NEVER reversed and additional energy to remove ice is NEVER required
- All water is consumed to make ice except for a few gallons per day for flushing the evaporator
Only Follett Chewblet ice machines offer RIDE® remote ice delivery equipment
As ice is extruded from the machine, it enters the transport tube and pushes the ice ahead of it through the tube without the use of pumps, vacuums, or blowers. Simple, but effective, RIDE technology allows the ice machine to be placed up to 75 feet (22.8 m) away from the dispenser or storage bin. It can be put under a counter, placed in a back room, even mounted on a wall! Here are a few reasons RIDE technology can be the right solution for you
- No bulky ice machine on top of dispenser; more open space
- No heat and noise in customer areas
- Complete access to countertop dispensers for cleaning and servicing
- No heavy ice machines to move or work around; improved worker safety
- Only a few inches of head room required above bins
- Great for low ceilings or to increase storage capacity in the same footprint
- More ice storage per square foot of floor space
Follett Chewblet ice machines are designed to be virtually maintenance free except for routine cleaning and sanitizing.
- A rugged, high performance gearmotor and a bearing-free design provide maintenance-free machine life
- Reliability of components has been proven by over ten years of operation in the most demanding kitchen environments
- Ice machine subjected to extreme operating conditions to assure superior performance in all applications
- With the Horizon series, routine cleaning and sanitizing is easier than ever
Follett Chewblet ice machines are low profile to fit under soffits and low ceilings.
Potential for significant cost savings versus remote condensing ice machine
- Cubers and nugget machines must use a remote condensing system to remove heat and noise from the customer area
- Self-contained Follett Chewblet ice machines with RIDE models can be placedin a back room to reduce equipment and installation costs by over 25%
- Since Follett Chewblet ice machines reject only about 2/3 the BTUs of comparable capacity cubers, overall HVAC costs go down in most cases